Sunday, May 1, 2011

Artist Statement

Since my work as a professional artist has commenced in the early 2000s, my work has evolved into critiquing social and political issues affecting US and indigenous Native American culture. Much of my work has focused on issues like institutionalized racism and classism, jarring stereotypes, and displacement of people of color. As a multi-media artist, I express these motifs through fine art, drawings, paintings, collages, photography, sculpture, and installations. I also incorporate a craftwork aesthetic to connect tradition with the contemporary. This is prevalent in many of my pieces. I seek to create a discussion through color, texture, symbolism, and geometric designs. My work evokes a historical memory and questions the status quo. Art has become a conduit connecting my artistic ideas and concepts to the public realm. As a Maroon artist living in New York City, my work reflects and is representative of my life’s experiences. My work is not in a vacuum; it crosses boundaries of culture, identity, and perception of self. I strive to be the voice for unheard voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment